Friday, September 13, 2019

Hippopotamus amphibius

Hello again :) It's a Dr.Digi friday and I have brought you a rather friendly Hippo! This is one of the Cuddly Critters from Dr. Digi's House of Stamps.


I was very much in need of a "go to" get well image for Hip operations! I think it must be a sign of my age that I seem to know more and more people going for a hip op!

Here is the digistamp image in the shop:



 And here is my version:


I coloured him up with polychomos and a white posca pen. Added in a bit of scenery so he looks like he is just about taking a dip! Perhaps the water is chilly? 

I learnt lots of interesting things about hippos whilst researching them for this chap. I didn't know they had hairy ears for a start off! I like to look at some photos of the real thing to get some inspiration for textures.



The backing paper is from Making Cards Magazine and the font I have used is Candy Square BTN.

*****A friend has asked me for the colours I have used to colour the hippo, as they are now written down, I decided to add them to this post too, so this is added in an edit the day after!*****

Hippo Grey bits - Warm Grey II, III and V
Hippo Pink bits - Dark Flesh 130. Light Flesh 132. Venetian Red 190. Walnut Brown 177
Hippo Shade on grey and pink - Dark Sepia 175
Hippo Blending and Highlights - White 101
Skin details - Black 199 and Dark Sepia 175.



Thanks for joining me today, more Cuddly Critters to come! And also a special non-paper project I am working on!



6 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your coloring. You brought this image to life. I wouldn't have thought that the image in the store was the image you colored. Did you draw in the cracks in his skin? Seriously amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, and thank you!! I colour it all in with shading and then consider the texture. I went and looked up textures of hippo skin (The Internet really does have everything - lol) and then did a crazy paving in super sharp black pencil, then picked out a few of the "paves" with white highlight. Not hard. Mainly wiggly lines! :D

      Delete
  2. You are my new coloring crush! I cannot stop looking at this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this but that hippo really is cuteness overload, he's gorgeous. TFS xxx

    ReplyDelete